Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Appreciate Your Kind Words!

Thank you for all the kind words! It's been quite a while since I had the time to "show & share" projects and I always appreciate when others find what I do inspirational. My joy is in the creative process....evolving ideas...expanding a theme.

The thing is ... I always end up expanding the theme and evolving those ideas far beyond a simple few. At one time I did have a booth in a place called Crafter's Marketplace to retail all of these creations, and it was fun for a while, it posed it's own problems. After removing stock from there I did sporatic craft shows with mixed results....they're always a crapshoot. I've learned that the general public is lacking in appreciation for the time it takes to create quality merchandise (unless they themselves are creative) let alone realize the value of the vested time or willing to pay for it!

Then along came the advent of the World Wide Web and all of a sudden everything out there was at my fingertips! I discovered these things called lists where like-minded individuals gathered and chatted about what they were creating and shared pictures. My husband installed a scanner for me and before long I was sharing my work too!

I wasn't prepared for the chain of events that would ensue. I had people calling me a designer (I had never thought of myself in that light....maybe an artisan) and insisting that I should be contacting magazine editors and submitting articles for publication.

I fluffed it off for a while .... but they became insistent .... and kept at me. Now I might have kept on resisting, but realized that maybe I should take their prompting to heart.....after all these gals had "been there, done that" before me. One even went so far as to contact an editor singing my praises. The editor instructed her to supply me with her e-mail address and to ask me to forward some pics.

The rest (as they say) is history!

There is a real sense of accomplishment when you see your name printed in a magazine...and your creations looking absolutely fabulous photographed by a professional! Even after the fourth piece I never lost that "Cloud Nine" feeling.

What I discovered in the whole process....is that my talent is really two-fold. I can create the piece....but I can also pattern it so that it can be made by others!

And that my friends is where the fun is!

No comments:

Blog Archive