Monday, February 4, 2008

Food For Thought : Inspiration & Insight

Artistic talent and creative ability: where does it come from? I think it would be interesting to ask a hundred designers this question to see what they'd say!

My personal thoughts...some of it is a gift and some of it is learned. Some of what we create is influenced by what we have been exposed to; I know that certain influences can be credited for their contribution to what I have created in my time, but at some point the inspiration gave way to my own insight, and I think that's where the line becomes drawn. The insight takes over and a personal flavour becomes predominant...we use the same medium and add a signature that becomes our own.....and by doing so we have transformed into a designer.

This in turn becomes a new inspiration to others, as our creations stand out on their own merit! In a sense it is an evolution, as we no longer follow...but take the lead...forging ahead with new ideas that leave others with a sense of awe and respect.

There is this thing that happens when I set out to create something ... that I find quite fascinating. If you have ever experienced this you will know what I mean: I see things! That is the "gift" part....my imagination sparks a vision that is created by my "mind's eye".....in which I can visualize the end result of a combination of elements and materials...and when I am armed with that...I can proceed to the creation of that very thing. I know what I need to do to achieve it and map it out mentally.....then let it flow from the mental image into a visualized creation. I take the "learned" part and transform it into the elemental construction of shape and form.

One thing that I have learned about this creative process...is that it cannot be forced. It is a fragile thing...sometimes it must be mulled over before the actual vision can be revealed.
Sometimes they come in waves...idea after idea....non stop! (It would be at this point that my housework will tend to fall behind.....and creating is all that I can think about.)

Sometimes...there is nothing...for long stretches...(artist's block?) but that comes with the territory I suppose...and then I will do the dishes!

Marie

2 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi, You know sometimes when you are a creator by nature you sometimes never stop to think how you ever came to be that person. Your musings are insightful ... I know I grew up not having a lot, in material goods, but I never realized it until I got older.. although at the time I never felt poor. I was too busy making things. I have found that having limitations, in respect to materials of some kind or other, really brings out the creativity. I see it over & over again. It makes your mind dig deeper to create something beautiful. & they are usually your best work. gwen

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This whole post is Food For Thought!! Wow.
So you really 'see' things completed in your head before you start them? I wish I was like that because I fly by the seat of my pants (and sometimes it's draggin on the ground!) and things evolve as I go along. Oddly enough, I don't have an imagination either, which weirds out a lot of people. I've often wondered if I'm the only one in the world who can't imagine things.
Love your post and will re-read it to be sure I absorb it all.
MA

Blog Archive