Saturday, February 16, 2008

Speaking of Roses . . .



Ah ... the rose ... so lovely to see ... so fragrant to smell ... and one of my favourite to stitch.

Many years back I was inspired by my neighbour's beautiful rose bush. I began to wonder how I could manipulate ribbon to make it look like an open tea rose. I played with it for a long time until the final idea came to me ... and the result was a stitch that came to become known as the Melanie Rose. (It was named so as a tribute to my daughter...that is her name!)

The stitch was first introduced to the public in an article published in Quilting Arts Magazine (2nd issue). Since then stitchers everywhere have added it to their repertoire.

Two years ago my DD graduated from Grade 8, and the dress she found to wear was very classic and elegant. It had a plain white panel inset off - centre which called to me as a canvas. I thought "What could be more fitting than to fill it with ... Melanie Roses!"

I know some of you have seen the dress ... and am posting here for the rest of the world!

For those who wish to see how these are created ... go to http://sredeluxe.tripod.com/ . Look under "Stitch Directions" .

Enjoy!


4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Pretty Melanie AND pretty melanie roses! I've seen this before, but sure do like seeing it again.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Marie, sweet picture. You did a beautiful job on the dress. She must have been the belle of the ball.... Really Stunning. gwen

Marie Alton said...

Thanks Gwen! Scarey how my little girl all of a sudden turned into this beautiful young lady! She really did look amazing in the dress...one of those "proud mama" moments! She certainly did have a "one-of-a-kind"...it was a labour of love!

Linda said...

Marie I am always amazed at the beauty that you create and cannot begin to thank you enough for all of the love and sharing that you so richly give......you give new meaning to " pay it forward.".
Hugs
Linda

Blog Archive