Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Porthole # 9

Porthole # 9 - I decided that I was doing too many deep jewel tones and should do some to brighten up the project. On the bottom right I added a cheery yellow spray of Griffin Buds and trimmed the piece with Bullion Stitch cording (YLI Candlelight Green). It's metallic...but the scanner never quite gets metallics right. Opposite that the yellow stitched seam...is YLI Pearl Crown Rayon (which is fabulous thread to stitch with). I started with a row of Cretan and stitched over with long stitches to alternate points. Above that I added a wee tatted B-fly...and other bits here and ther to fill in.

5 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Marie I really love this combination of colors... lots of depth and rich feeling...lovely opposing values to the other beautiful pieces you have already done ...
Are you going to make one big piece with them or are they going to be individual pieces... I am imagining with them all together they must look like an Edwardian lady's crazy quilt.. pretty powerful! Inspirational!

Marie Alton said...

Hi Gwen ... Thanks!
Each piece will be in a black velveteen "frame" 8 x 8 finished size and these will be stitched together into a quilt...but am still not sure whether I'll end up with a single or queen. If my vision holds true...I think it'll be pretty spectacular!

Gwen Buchanan said...

This is going to amazing.. Boy. I can't wait to see it.. no pressure, huh!!

Marie Alton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Alton said...

Hi Gwen
Well...I'm a long ways from finished and as it doesn't yet have a specifc purpose (am considering it as a gift to my DD at some point) I'm not hurrying with it...it'll be an ongoing project for quite a while...as time and inspiration permits. I'm working on # 30 and 31 portholes now...could stop at 40 which would give me 5 wide and 8 long ... enough for a single top with a plain border...but then my brain got a new idea of adding side panels making it 7 wide...or another 16 blocks....then if I decide to go to queen size...I'd probably need 2 more strips on each side for an additional 32...so that'd make 88 portholes.
So...I'm either close to finished or only half way there!

Blog Archive