There has been a lot of chat on lists lately about alphabets & monograms.
I recently added one to my current project ... my Blue Jean Drag Bag (of which I just finished scanning the completed sections) and thought it'd be a good creative process to share.
I started by trying to find one out there on the Net ... but didn't find what I wanted. So....decided to make one myself!
I'm sure there's lots of programs on this box that would have created just the size and font I was after...but stuck with what I know best ... Corel Word Perfect. Only problem there is that it maxxes out at 72 ... and I wanted it waaaayyy bigger than that!
Okay ... so make it bigger! I chose my font and set it to 72 and printed that out. Next I scanned it to create a jpeg. I went back to Word Perfect and created a text box to about the size I wanted...then inserted the jpeg into the box and dragged it out to enlarge. Had to adjust it once or twice but finally saw what I wanted. Save and print!
Next step was to pin this printout to my fabric. I then did a row of backstitching (about 1/8" or so topside) in purple Jeans Stitch around the entire monogram...then ripped away the paper, picked out the little bits with my needle...and voila...the outline of one monogram! I whipstitched over the outline to create a solid line.
I wanted a "raised" effect...so needed to pad it a bit. I went around the inside of the letter with Chain Stitch to give me a nice base.
To fill in I used simple satin stitch....I started off using one strand...but that seemed to be taking forever....so I switched to doubled thread and picked up the pace!
The final result is what you see here....next time I'll show you what I did around that!