Saturday, December 6, 2008

T'is The Season ... Continued

Ahhhh...finally a chance to slow down. I have this weekend off and as mentioned in a previous post ... have something new to share with you!

Actually it's another rendition of one of the ornaments shown in the CQ Mag Online article....only this one is a "wearable" version.

I'm one of those people who hate to part with anything useful....and I save stuff....yes...a self-confessed pack rat.

One night I made "doggies - in - blankets" (hot dogs split length-wise with a piece of cheddar inserted then rolled up in a Pillsbury Crescent Roll & baked...the kids love 'em!) I was about to throw out the packages...when I realized that the aluminum end pieces were almost identical to those larger frozen juice lids that I have used in past....only smaller! So...I carefully pulled away all of the paper.....washed & dried them...as my mind raced with the possibilities.

They're a mere 1 3/4" in diameter.....perfect pin size! I traced the shape onto paper and broke the circle up into mini CQ sections...then chose some fancy fabrics...made the panel...and embellished with metallics, rayons & beads.

Using the same finishing technique as the CQ Spinner (but for one side only) I padded it and gathered it over the disk. For the back ..... I cut out a leather circle, centred a bar pin on it and cut small slits to fit each end through then glued the leather backing on.

The beading at the bottom edge was made seperately ( a la Free Form ) then tacked in place with whipstitching. To complete the beaded edge, I added beads 3 at a time, backstitching through the 3rd bead before adding the next 3.

The second one has a stick pin instead of a bar. I bought a whole bunch of these years ago when I found them at Lee Valley....back in the days when I still had the booth....and was making things to sell....then later used them in kits for SRE pins.

The edging was done the same as the first...only made the dangles a bit finer...narrower...and longer.

I'm sure if I hadn't been so busy with the article that I might have made a dozen of them....as I think these would make fabulous gifts for special people....something to jazz up a blouse front or a blazer lapel.

Feel free to give them a go....and if you're not into Crescent Rolls....you could substitute one of those commercially available button forms or cut a disk from hard plastic (like from a laundry soap jug) or art board.


Have fun...and enjoy!


4 comments:

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi marie,dear, you have been busy. these little beauties are terrific... wonderful combinations in the two of them.. You have the greatest imagination!!!

Hope the coming season is a happy time for you and your family!!!

Allison Ann Aller said...

These are wonderful, Marie. thanks for the inspiration!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

These are beautiful Marie! What a great recycling idea and you're right, they are the perfect size for pins.

MichelleMermaid said...

Hi Marie! Cool pins! I esp like the second one with the fir branches and caston stitches. And your bead fringe is fab! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Blog Archive