Saturday, March 14, 2009

First Signs of Spring!

It is common practice to rely on the predictions of the Groundhog ... whether it be Wiarton Willy or Puxatauny (?sp) Phil ... as indicators as to when spring will arrive ... but I have a more reliable source ... the robin!

I know ... that when the robins come back ... that spring is almost here. We still may endure another blast of wintery snow ... but for the most part it is over. I heard one today!

Robins are a most tenacious creature. They are opportunists and will build a nest in a protected spot.

A few years back, I had a cedar wreath hung on the wall just to the right of our front door. Easter was early ( in March) that particular year ... and Easter Sunday was a glorious warm & sunny day. I decided to have my morning coffee out front ... and soak up some of that warmth ... it was about 20 celcius. All of a sudden I saw a robin flying straight at me!...or so I thought. It was actually flying to a nest it had constructed (seemingly overnight) atop the forgotten cedar wreath...which was under the front porch & protected from the elements.

Needless to say we decided to let nature take it's course...and leave the wreath and the nest intact. A few weeks later ... was the first signs of hatchlings...Mom & Dad were flying back and forth constantly bringing food to three waiting beaks. A few more weeks passed and the babies had grown ... and began their test flights. It wasn't long before they all found their wings and were gone from the nest.

It never ceases to amaze me ... how creatures with brains so small ... can be so in tune with the seasons ... and let us know by their presence that the seasons have changed.

Let spring begin!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I can't remember the last time Punxsutawney Phil said Spring instead of 6 more weeks of winter. I too look for robins. We have one building a nest on top of our air conditioner on the second floor of our home. I thank the Lord for all those small brained birds, knowing they are back keeps my sanity intact waiting for winter to be over. :)

Marie Alton said...

Kathy ... guess we should trust in the birds' instinct ... nature has such a way of providing them with a knowledge that seems to escape us. Thanks for the spellcheck on Phil's digs.

Gwen Buchanan said...

a lovely spring story Marie.. I can't wait.. the temps the next few days should take the snow down a bit.. hope so anyway...

Blog Archive