Friday, August 6, 2010

Just Breathe !

Hi All ... did ya miss me? Well of course you did!

I swear ... I don't know how time flies by so fast!

I'm enjoying a bit of a breather from the daily grind ... didn't make any special plans ... or go to any fabulous place ... I just let my brain go into "idle mode"... and that is exactly what I needed.

But ... that is not to say I've been idle ... I've done stuff! Watched a lot of movies ... crocheted a second pair of baby booties for my neice ... but my biggest endeavor has been a purse.

Ages ago I had a "saddle bag" ... it was my absolute fave ... and I used it until it literally fell apart. So ... I took it apart & made a pattern from the pieces ... and made another one years ago ... a combination of a leather body and crocheted side panels/trim. Unfortunately I chose jute for the crochet part ... and it broke down faster than expected.

A few weeks back I stumbled across it while looking for something else ... and decided to check it out to see if it could be repaired & put back into use. Uh ... no. But the leather could be salvaged ... so I started to cut off all that old jute ... and let my mind work away at the resurrection plan.

Another thing I had stashed away ... and also one of the fave things from my past ... was an exquisite pair of black leather pants ... custom made ... which cost a pretty penny back then ... and even after all the years of wear were still intact ... except for the lining. There was no chance that I was ever going to fit into them again ... but just for a lark I had Melanie try them on to see if she might want them. They did fit ... kinda ... but too baggy in some spots ... so she declined. She was amazed that these actually fit me once!

This leather would be too thin to make a purse from ... but let me tell ya ... it was perfect as a veneer for the foundation leather of the old bag! I simply glued it on and voila ... the next incarnation! It'll go nicely with my black leather jacket!

I got this crazy notion to do something "decorative" on the main flap ... and it actually worked out pretty cool. I used some coloured bits of leather showing through cut out sections of the black ... initially it was going to be rainbow ... but finally used red and lavender ... and glad I did!

I still have quite a bit of finishing trim to do ... and have to attach the strap (I'm not entirely sure how I'm gonna do that) ... but eventually it'll be finished and I'll share visuals.

So ... that's about it for now ... and I will try to post more often!

Hugs ... Marie

2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Just breathe is a good thing to do! Can't wait to see the latest re-do purse. Missed you!

Marie Alton said...

Hey Hey MA

I have to say that I did feel refreshed after my brief reprieve!

I iss you too ... too bad we haven't had a chance to get together of late ... but you know you'll be one of the first to see that bag first-hand when we do!

Hugs ... Marie

Blog Archive