Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pneumonia ... Seriously?

So ... after being up half the night Tuesday ... coughing my darned fool head off ... and my back hurting every time ... I had a bad feeling that I was beyond a cold ... and looking at (minimally) a chest infection ... but suspected it was what the doctor diagnosed ... pneumonia.

It was worse at night ... while I was horizontal ... I'd cough my brains out ... but nothing came up.  That can't be good.  So I went to the Walk In clinic (my doc is next door but fully booked up with other sick people) ... so saw Dr. Zarha who checked me out ... and confirmed that I had "walking pneumonia".

She prescibed 3 different things to combat the problem ... & $43 later ... with the drug plan ... I got the meds needed to combat this foe.  Nasal spray for my sinus infection ... kick-ass antibiotics for the lungs ... and a narcotic cough syrup to let me sleep through the night.

I can feel them all working ... and am relieved at that.  But I'm still confounded as to how I got this.

I know that at Mr. G.'s funeral it was very cold out ... and I was already sick from the Pink Eye ... so the rest of my defenses were down ... and the stress & frigid temperatures must have been just enough to make it happen.

Just glad I had enough sense to get it diagnosed when I did ... as I can actually feel these meds doing their job ... and starting to get me back on track.

Off to get more rest & fluids ... just as the doctor ordered.

Did I mention? ... I don't do sick very well?

Hugs ... Marie

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Ohmygosh, Marie! I wish you a quick and speedy recovery. Glad the stuff is working.

Linda H said...

Oh Marie, I'm so sorry! You had better take good care of yourself with some serious pampering....
Best Wishes for a very speedy recovery! Hugs to you ....

black bear cabin said...

what the heck...pneumonia?!? WOW...that totally sucks! Im sending lots of hugs out to you right now, and soooo glad you went in to the doc right away to get that looked at. The anti cough meds should help you to get some rest, which is the best medicine...though in your case the antibiotics are pretty nice! Hope you are feeling better very soon...HUGS!!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Much rest your way.!!Take care.

piney cq said...

Ohhhhhh......i'm soooo sad to hear you are sick again!!! Good heavens!!! I'm sending ya some healing hugs and cyber chicken noodle soup to help you kick this bug once and for all!!! Rest up and take good care of YOU!!!

Marie Alton said...

Thank you all for your healing hugs & good wishes! I did go to work today & managed to get through the whole day ... but feeling a bit drained. I'm just gonna keep at this rest thing tonight ... and then back at it tomorrow!

This "walking pneumonia" variety is so weird ... I don't really look "sick" ... or really even feel that bad ... until the coughing thing happens ... & reminds me that ya ... you're sick!

Glad that what the doc prescribed is doing what it's supposed to ... and will go see my family doc next week for a follow-up ... to make sure all is mending as planned.

Warm Hugs & thanks for your concern!

Marie

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh yikes - this is NOT nice! I'm very glad you got yourself to medical help before it got any worse. Be sure to get lots of rest and take care of you. Hugs!

Marie Alton said...

Hi MA ... I'm getting back to normal ... slowly ... but after a full day at work I'm ready to just get horizontal for more rest.

After Googling it ... I'm pretty much convinced that it all came about from a viral chest infection ... in combination with my depleted defenses after that bout with flu a while back.

One thing leads to another. Tim had the same kind of virus symptoms as I did ... but he's much younger & probably has a higher immunity ... while I was just a prime target in my weakened defence state.

At least the doctor's plan of attack is knocking it down ... so I'll just keep doing what she told me ... & rest as much as possible. Last night I slept for a whole 11 hours ... to let the meds do their thing. Same game plan for tonight. The dishes can wait another day, I'm sure!

Hugs ... Marie

Blog Archive