Saturday, August 9, 2014

Northern Lights

So ... you may remember last post how I scored all this cool new yarn for a great deal at Michaels ... well I just had to get playing with one of them ... and the first one I chose to go with was a Loops & Threads Charisma ... the colour is called Northern Lights.

It's a bulky weight acrylic ... and works up really fast & solid.  My first project on target was a  crocheted Fedora.

I had made myself one of these years & years ago using the same weight in real wool ... and loved it.
Acrylic is as warm ... but much more "user friendly".  Throw it in the washer & dryer without worry of shrinkage.

I bought two balls ... the Fedora took only one and a bit to complete ... so found myself with almost 3/4 iof the second ball left.  Hmmm ... what to do with the rest.  Figured I had about enough left for a headband.

So ... decided to knit one ... a simple moss stitch edge with a single cable in the centre ... on 7mm needles.  it worked up really fast ... and had it done in a little over an hour & a half.



Sadly the colours did not scan true.  On the top picture ... the centre is black ... and the green is a rich moss.  On the bottom picture ... the two large segments on each side are actually Peacock Blue ... and will show this again when Melanie gets some actual photos of it for me.

I was glad that the colour segments worked out so symetrically.  I had just enough to finish it ... with a mere 4" to cut off at the end! Whew! Cutting it close ... but it worked!

The Fedora is simply too 3D to scan ... but will share when I can get a really decent pic to show.

It turned out really cool!

No comments:

Blog Archive